Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a leopard Catahoula who has aggression problems not…

Customer Question
I have a leopard...

I have a leopard Catahoula who has aggression problems not only is it with his food but new toys and anything that he wants to Clay

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

He is a male unneutered and 11 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Like?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/17/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does he live alone or with others?

Are you intending to breed him?

Has he had any professional training classes such as those that focus on socialization and obedience?

Can you describe situations that have happened in your home thus far?

He is the only pet in the home but I do have three younger kids7;8;9 he hasn't had any training but he knows all basic commands and then some he is potty trained and everything.....he gets aggressive when he has food and or a new toy....he also just flips out and starts growing for no reason like he's ready to attack....funny thing is when this does happen he goes to his kennel and does all this....mostly because that's where we've always directed him to go.....he also wags his tail when he is doing it.....but he's not playing...

Do you happen to have any video of him doing what you've described with the tail wagging and growling? What does he do if someone reaches for his toy or food while growling? Was he brought up in a large litter? How old was he when he was adopted?

No but I will try to get one not sure of the size of the litter and we got him when he was about 6 wks old and he will snip at you he nipped the boy across the street yesterday he gave him a toy and Jack ( our dog)ran off. then the boy went to get the toy and he nipped the little boys hand ..... circumstance let him live this time but if he bites again we won't have a choice but to put him down

I understand. It would be wise to schedule an evaluation with a behaviorist in your home given the severity of the concern here and the potential for euthanasia if the behavior persists. I think you'd be wise to get him neutered as this can help with possessiveness and territorial behavior but it can take many weeks following for hormone levels to begin falling. In the meanwhile, a behaviorist visit would be wise. I'd like to help you find one. Can you share your city and state?

Kilgore TX

Here are the two closest facilities I was able to locate that deal with aggressive behaviors in dogs.

1) Longview, Texas: http://thegooddogacademylongview.com
2) Tyler, Texas: http://www.archerdogtraining.com

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

He's doing pretty good no real break downs this weekend....we did go and buy a 10x10 kennel for outside to stay in while we're at work instead of his inside kennel....and after the holidays we will be enrolling him in the good dog Academy...and have even look into other facilities if training here doesn't work

Excellent news. Please let me know if I can assist further. This thread will remain open and if any additional questions pop up that are connected to this concern you can reach back out to me at no additional charge. Just be sure to keep this link.