Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My chihuahua\ pom has rteacheal. My pom\chihuahua has

My chihuahua\ pom has rteacheal JA...
My chihuahua\ pom has rteacheal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: My pom\chihuahua has larengeal collapse. She also has allergies. She has had a hot sinus area in the morning until I massage her for head. Then she seems to clear up for the rest of the day. This past week sees her coughing with a phylem type cough. I have also had a respiratory virus or something for two weeks. With chest congestion. My question can she have picked up my virus? What can I do besides humidity in the room.
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cocoa and she is 11 years old. They say she already has an enlarged heart because of here breathing.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cocoa?
Customer: No that is pretty much all.
11/17/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has been coughing what sounds wet cough all day. I forgot to say what medication our vet had put her on for her collapse larynex. Temaril P 1/4 tab. Every other day but since I told her she was coughing more everyday as needed. We also have her taking 1/4 Benadryl each day. The steroid has put extreme weight on her already stressed body. Could she asve gotten my virus? Should I take her in again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I started her medication already and she sleeps after taking it. I justvwant to know if I should let a virus run it's course or take her in. I know the difference between what her coughs sound like. I worked in healthcare for 25 years. Don't know veterinary.

It's very uncommon for dogs to pick up such viruses from people. Can you share a video of the phlegm-type coughing you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She swallows what she coughs up then has phylemy looking feces.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tiny bit like the cardiac cough but not as long before she sounds like the fluid comes up and then not again for an hour or so.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I should take her in if it might be her heart. Thanks for your help!

I would do the exact same thing, for good measure. If she's never had a cardiac workup before, such as an echocardiogram, it might be time to consider doing so to be able to distinguish cardiac cough from an ailment from her tracheal concern.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse