Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Recently my dog had to get his tail amputated due to the…

Recently my dog had...

Recently my dog had to get his tail amputated due to the fact that he was chewing it and he chewed it so bad that when I took him in to the vet the vet said he couldn't save it. But he vet couldn't figure out what cause him to chew it so bad either (suggested that maybe some trauma to the tail might be the cause, such as a door hitting it.) After the tail amputation, I found out I had fleas. So I called my vet to buy the oral flea medication and cleaned my entire apartment. 2 weeks after the amputation his sutures were removed and vet said I could take the cone off, but I felt more comfortable keeping it on a extra week. But recently I took the cone off for a couple days, and after 3 days I caught him chewing his tail (which is now a stub) again. I'm at a loss of what could possibly be going on and I don't have the income to keep taking him to the vets.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Shadow.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?

I did notice that he has been aroused A LOT recently as well. Which he never used to be.

11/17/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of the tail at this time?

Is he chewing on the tail itself or beneath?

Did your vet note any cause for the chewing at the time of amputation?

I added two photos. The first one is his tail now because I put his come back on as soon as I noticed him biting it, and the second one is when I noticed him biting it. It's red but I don't see any bites or bumps on it or anything so IDK why he is biting it!The vet didn't know the reason why he was chewing his tail, he told me it could of been some kind of trauma to his tail (which obviously wasn't the case) but like I said, I did find out I had fleas after the amputation and thought maybe that was the reason, like maybe he was allergic or something and that was what caused him to bite so bad. But I bought the oral flea pill for him so idk why he would still be biting his tail, it's been 3 weeks?& sometimes when he walks he curls his butt in towards his face, like it's bothering him.

It's quite possible that fleas are the cause here. For a very sensitive dog, they can battle weeks, if not months, of intense itching of the tail and base of the tail. Dogs who are sensitive are allergic to flea saliva so even a single bite can be enough to cause problems even if fleas aren't being seen. I don't think there is any way to be able to rule this out without an additional visit to your vet. I would ask for an steroid or cytopoint injection to help with any itching which may be present. This should address any reaction which might be witnessed due to past flea infestation. If the behavior persists, I'd discuss potentially starting him on a medication known to help with phantom pains called gabapentin to see if this helps. I would also use an e-collar full time if he's chewing on the tail. If/when he's not, this can be removed. The curling of his back end toward his face highly suggests that he's itchy.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse