Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Last Fri my westie 5yr started feeling poorly. have given

him pepto 2Tbs and 1tsp...
last Fri my westie 5yr started feeling poorly. have given him pepto 2Tbs and 1tsp of baby acetominophyn drinking water and eating some food but still gags yellow bile and runny feces
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bradley( rescued westie ) supposed to be 5yrs old
JA: How old is Bradley?
Customer: supposed to be 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bradley?
Customer: on his rescur papers he had this and they gave him Metronidazole 25 ...1/2 pill for 5 days
11/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

What food is he being fed at this time?

How frequently are you giving the pepto and baby acetaminophen?

How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no changes toe weighs food or enviroment .the dogs get boiles chicken at nite .present had rice &cottage cheese (about 3Tbs) kept it down for ap px 3hrs.weighs 15lbs
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
foun he had this prob before I adopted him...given metronidazole..1/2 pill for 5 days..no parvo)JAN-27-17

Have any diagnostics been performed aside from just treating with the metronidazole such as bloodwork with pancreatic profile, a fecal analysis, etc?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
no other tests as he just stated and vet only comes once a month

Pepto can be somewhat useful in GI upsets but acetaminophen can not only be toxic to dogs but it can also lead to GI problems such as ulcers. Please discontinue its usage. As well, pepcid tends to work better for dogs than pepto does.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse