Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He is panting heavy for 2 days now and can’t seem to get…

He is panting heavy...

He is panting heavy for 2 days now and can’t seem to get comfortable laying down. He will for about 10 minutes but still breathes hard. He finally ate yesterday after a few days. He is drinking a lot of water. He is an English bulldog, 8years old and has never had health problems.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Kutter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kutter?

Not that i can think of.

11/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has Kutter had any diagnostics thus far to determine why he's panting and cannot get comfortable?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No changes, nothing new. He hates dog food and will go days without eating. I have mixed chicken with his food the last few days and that has made him eat butbthe panting was before that.

Prolonged panting in dogs is concerning but even moreso in the English bulldog due to their tendency to develop respiratory ailments. The first thing I would recommend is having Kutter examined by your vet and some diagnostics performed such as x-rays of the neck, back and chest, bloodwork including a thyroid panel, heart worm test, etc. Panting is a non-specific symptom and can be an indicator of a wide variety of conditions from fever to hypothyroidism to congestive heart failure to pain. This is why an examination is needed before effective treatment will be possible.

If you are wanting to try something at home and believe that he may be uncomfortable, aspirin remains an option though I would only go this route while he's eating and can be watched closely. Dosing info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
He does feel warm but he prefers to be warm so it’s hard to tell. He would sit in front of a heater all day if i would let him. Thank you