Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My boys name is Teddy. Teddy on Tuesday for the first time…

Customer Question
Hello my boys name...

Hello my boys name is Teddy. Teddy on Tuesday for the first time in his life was extremely excited and kept playing with a blanket and his teddy bear I kept yelling at him to stop but he would not he continues this almost all day into the evening obviously resting in between. The very next day he started having problems urinating his little PP is just dripping he hasn’t eaten in two days and every once in a while he’ll yell and he walks with his back and kind of hunched up I can tell he’s a little bit in pain other than that he looks good And is active and self but today is day three he’s not eating any still live in PP problems can you help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if Teddy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

What will Ted be able to digest?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How old is Teddy?

What breed is Teddy?

Is he able to urinate?

Was he fed any unusual things before this started such as bones, rawhides, pigs ears, fatty foods like bacon, ham, pork product or chicken skins?

Is he drinking?

Has he defecated?

Is he neutered?

Are there any female dogs around where you live?

Teddy is six years old he is called a teddy bear bread. Yes he is drinking and dedicated last night. He has Not eaten for two days and when he goes P it’s just dribbles and he stands there for minutes
Teddy is not neutered
We were at my daughters in there were two female dog there that she owns and one is close to being in heat that was Tuesday of this week that’s the day he was all excited
Teddy has not eaten any of the items on your list.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

It is possible that he has developed a urinary tract infection though usually dogs do continue to eat with a UTI. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms. As long as he can urinate, it isn't an emergency but it is getting close to the weekend so keep that in mind.

Other causes for increased thirst and frequent urination include kidney failure, diabetes mellitus, cushing, and liver disease to name a few. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/polydipsia-and-polyuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now his not eating is more of a concern. Small dogs need to eat or they can develop hypoglycemia which can cause seizures and lead to death. So if he isn't eating at all, put a drop of karo or pancake syrup on his tongue or gums to bring his glucose levels up. Try tempting his with bland foods like boiled chicken and rice or well drained hamburger and rice.

Dogs who are fed fatty foods can develop pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated. You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now male dogs can act erratic when females are in heat around them. They sometimes are so obsessed with mating they do not want to eat. If the female is not around, they might hump stuffed animals and as a result drip some semen. Dogs will also tend to mark a lot spreading a lot of small amounts of urine in as many places as they can so it is clear the area is theirs.

While his behavior may be strictly due to being around a female in heat, unless he is within a mile of the female or her scent is all over something in the house, the symptoms should subside in a day or so. With it continuing and him not eating, I'd be inclined to have your vet take a quick look to ensure his health doesn't suffer.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 7 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.