Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My standard poodle ate a piece of fiberglass insulation,

Customer Question
My standard poodle ate...

My standard poodle ate a piece of fiberglass insulation, what do I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Violet, she is about 1 and half years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Violet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Violet?

No I just want to know how dangerous this is

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
11/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 5 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Fiberglass contains a lot of tiny shards of glass which can cause damage to the dogs gastrointestinal tract. You might add some metamucil or canned pumpkin to your dog's diet to help push the insulation through the dog's system. It might also pick up any stray fiberglass in the system. Now fiberglass insulation ingestion can lead to an intestinal obstruction so you will need to watch for signs of that which include a loss of appetite, inability to defecate, vomiting of a substance similar to feces in smell and color. You also need to watch for any vomiting,or bleeding or discomfort that might indicate damage to the gastrointestinal tract. If any symptoms appear, you will need to have her seen by your vet as soon as possible. Read about obstructions here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/

In many cases, with metamucil or canned pumpkin it passes through a larger dogs system with no problems, so monitor her closely for about 72 hours or so. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 4 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.