Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 80 or so pound lab might have eaten a single infernal we…

Customer Question
My 80 or so...

My 80 or so pound lab might have eaten a single infernal we 120mg and a single peri-colace and I was looking for advice

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Midnight and she is just over 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Midnight?

No. I have read a ton of posts and just wanted another opinion

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I wold be happy to help you with this...

what exactly did your dog eat?

Inderal er 120mg and pericolace

Ok, let me check my toxicology references....

This is a very severe overdose of Inderal (propranolol) for your dog......let me check on the peri-colace..

There have been no safety studies in dogs for senna which is one of the active ingredients in pericolace....the DSS in colace not a problem....biggest problem is the Inderal....this could cause potential problems with kidneys and heart... I would seek care at vet ER...

can I offer any further assistance?

I read that dogs c an take up to 2mg/kg of inderal and this was the ER version. It is delivered over a 12 hour period
She weighs 80 pounds which is 72mg of inderal immediate release. We are pharmacist and nurse here and just trying to make sure

Yes, that is under emergency situation only and that is still way below the 120 mg your dog got......you can choose to not see ER vet, but due to potential for kidney issues I have to recommend that your dog see ER vet...

Your dog might very well be fine...but we are not allowed to say that when dose exceeds proper limits....if you guys are nurse and pharm then you already know why that is negligent for me to do...

I hope that makes sense....

That's alright....we understand. Thanks for the help

sure thing.....

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB