Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Vomating and shivering. Bologna. Black 4 year old Shorky.

Customer Question
Vomating and shivering Veterinarian's...

Vomating and shivering

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Bologna

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Black Jack 4 year old Shorky

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Black Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Ate bologna last night. Been sick and lethargic all day

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
11/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Black Jack is shivering, lethargic, vomiting all day after eating bologna last night.
Shivering can be secondary to a fever, but more commonly we see it with nausea or pain when a pup doesn't feel well. It may help to take his temperature to differentiate the cause, but given what else you have told me I expect it is due to nausea. A normal rectal temperature in dogs is 100F to 102.5F, and a fever is anything higher than 103F.
He is likely dehydrated because she has been vomiting. That will drive him to try to drink, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him for now.
In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes of vomiting include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. If he was a middle aged to older pup then an abdominal mass could also a possible cause.
In his case eating a high fat, high salt food like bologna that would be the most likely cause of his symptoms.
Because he is vomiting so much, even when not eating, ideally he would see a veterinarian now.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if he's not improving quickly he should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle his stomach.

High fat foods can lead to pancreatitis.
To try and settle his stomach at home tonight you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help settle his stomach and get him feeling better and hopefully stop him from vomiting and get his appetite back. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.
If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then he needs to see a veterinarian.
But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.
If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian