Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

The past few days my cockapoo has been limping and licking…

Hi the past few...

Hi the past few days my cockapoo has been limping and licking herself. I haven’t found anything wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes checked her whole leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

She has has one previous uti in the past and just wondering if this could be that

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Her name is Sienna

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sienna?

And she is 11

11/15/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hat part of her body is she licking? Her leg? How bad is the limping? Is she able to bear weight on the leg? Is the limping worse when she first gets up?

Her leg and seems like private area
She is having trouble putting pressure on it also and jumping is a problem all of a sudden

If she is licking her vulva that could be a urinary tract infection. If she is urinating more than usual or in small amounts a urinary tract infection is likely. Female dogs can also develop a yeast or bacterial skin infection around the vulva. Normally with that there is some redness of the skin and sometimes swelling.

I​f she is having a hard time putting any pressure on it then it sounds like she needs an x-ray. That can indicate a fracture. Try wiggling all her toes to see if she has a fractured or dislocated toe.

I​f it is a hind leg injury she may have injured a ligament in her knee. That can happen acutely.

I​f it were mild limping and worse when she were to get up from laying down for a while then that can be arthritis or tendonitis. But normally that would not cause her to have trouble bearing any weight on the leg.

I do not think the licking of the vulva is related to the leg injury though.

I​f she is licking her leg that is probably due to pain.

Thank uou

I​f she does not have any underlying health issues and she is not on any medications you could give her a dose of human aspirin. 5 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours as needed. Give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset. For example a 50 pound dog would take 250mg of aspirin with food.

I​f she is not better by tomorrow, meaning you are seeing improvement in either condition, then she should see the vet.

G​lad to help. I hope she feels better.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian