Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is a 45-50 lbs blue heeler beagle mix. She gets skin…

She is a 45-50...

She is a 45-50 lbs blue heeler beagle mix. She gets skin infections periodically from rolling around in the yard. It is similar to cradle cap.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Pepper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?

She got the first infection after killing a ground hog.

11/14/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How can I best assist you this evening?

Pepper periodically gets a skin condition similar to cradle cap in children. A thick film of scaley skin. It is quite irritating.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? Any scratching?

Lots of scratching. I've given her 12.5 mg of benadryl.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

She wouldn't stay still for pictures. :(
The skin is getting red where she's scratching.

That's okay. We can continue on without pictures. How often are you giving the Benadryl?

I'm only giving it to her in the evening. Using hydrocortisone spray bid.

If this continues to be an issue for her, I would have her examined by your vet to ensure that she is not in need of antibiotic or anti fungal medications. At home, antihistamines can be used but Benadryl usually isn't the best choice. I recommend Zyrtec. Also, be sure to give as often and at the appropriate dosage. A dog Pepper's size would need 50-100mg of Benadryl every 8-12 hours. 12.5mg at night will do little, if anything, as far as the itching goes. Here's the page for dosing info: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf 10mg once daily is her dosage. If Zyrtec does not work for you, you have others to choose from the list which should help, as well. If she's not already being bathed after rolling around outside, I'd do so. Dawn dish soap, or another stripping detergent, should help remove allergens from her coat.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Is that often enough?

Is what often enough?

The benadryl? Once daily qhs?

No, I discussed this in-depth above. Did the post come through? Sometimes they don't. Let me know if it did not arrive and I'll be happy to re-post.

Oh no it didn't dear. Please repost.

Here you go:

Awesome! Ty! She's had generic keflex in the past. It worked great! I suggested the dawn bath with apple cider vinegar rinse to my husband. He was worried about bathing her too often. What are your thoughts on that? Bathing too often?

Stripping detergent can be harsh on the skin, but so can allergies. Prevention is best and bathing 1-4x monthly is ideal.

I bought a dry shampoo for in between bathing. Idk how effective it could be.

Dry shampooing is more for deodorizing than anything else. It does not anything for allergens on the coat and, what's worse, may further irritate the skin. I'd skip the dry shampoo unless her skin is not causing her any problems.

Thank you so much for validating my point with the bathing. I felt if there is a skin irritation it could be better to bathe more often.
He kept persisting it was not necessary. Thank you again! Also, is cefdinir harmful in canines?
I'm a pharmacy technician and see it sometimes, but wonder if keflex or bactrim is safer?

Cefdinir can be used in dogs, though we typically choose other antibiotics before this one since minimal info exists on dosing. Keflex is more common.

It certainly could. Over bathing is possible, too, so be sure to try to keep her from rolling in the grass. That may be the biggest key to her improvement aside from bathing and antihistamines. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll check in with you in the next few days.

Thank you again so very much!

Happy to assist.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse