Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog is bleeding from anal gland, I cleaned it but it still…

Customer Question
Dog is bleeding from...

Dog is bleeding from anal gland, I cleaned it but it still looks swollen and red, I cannot afford a vet right now. What do i do to treat it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Junior is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Junior?

He is a diabetic and im positive it is not rectal bleeding rather from an anal gland

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

I notcied after he went to the bathroom at first i thought he hurt his tail i took him to warm bath right away and starting cleaning and realized it was the gland. I squeezed softly and some blood continued to come out but he was very uncomfortable so I took him out and dried him and have just held warm compress to help woth pain.
He was acting normal before this. I did not notice any scooting. After the bath and trying to clean him he is now very lethargic and theres some shaking I believe due to the pain?

The area certainly looks red and inflamed as we'd see with an anal gland concern, particularly things like abscesses, impaction and tumors cause this type of swelling.

If you elect to treat this at home and he's on no other medication, you can give aspirin for pain: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also clean the peri-anal area 2x daily with mild soap, use Neosporin (regular) on the anal area 2-3x daily and be sure he's not licking. If he begins licking, he needs to go into an e-collar like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU It can take up to 14 days for this type of problem to resolve. It may worsen before it improves. We typically recommend sedation, expression of the gland (lancing, if needed) and a course of antibiotics and pain medication.

If this is not an option, since you've mentioned your budget being tight, also consider financial aid and funding:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Should I do any additional squeezing or draining to it before cleaning?
He is breathing normally but shaking intermittently is this due to pain?

I would not as this will cause additional discomfort and may cause rupture, if it's not already ruptured. The intermittent shaking does sound like it's due to discomfort, yes.

Can he die if I dont bring him to a vet

Unlikely if this is just an anal gland impaction.

even if I cant afford vet if i clean and apply the neosporin, he should be okay in a few weeks? I am very concerned but with his diabetes my vet funds are at their limit

I would expect so, but links are above to determine if you qualify for veterinary financial aid, as well.

Checking in. How is Junior doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse