Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is constipated and won't eat pumpkin or anything. She is…

Customer Question
She is constipated and...

She is constipated and won't eat pumpkin or anything. She is still drinking but won't eat or give kisses which is not normal for her. We nicknamed her lickalots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

Just laying around

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/13/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Why do you think she is constipated?

Prior to this, has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does she eat any non food items such as rawhides, bones, toys etc?

Have you taken her temperature and if so what was it?

I haven't seen her poop in a few days.
Vomiting just before with just foamy watery no food.
No toys or rawhide.
Temp is 102.4

Thank you for that information. Her temp is good.

I would try warming the pumpkin up and mixing it with some warm wet dog food to get it into her.

If that does not work and she is still constipated then you may have to go to the Vet for an enema.

If she is still eating and drinking then it is not an emergency and you are just going on her lethargy which could be due to a self limited virus, but she should still be able to have a bowel movement with a virus.

If she does not eat the pumpkin meal, You can also try to administer Metamucil and I will give a link that goes over dosing of this.

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/psyllium-metamucil-for-dogs-and-cats/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.
She had to have surgery Monday. She had pyometra.
I am sorry to hear that.
Thank you. She is alive and getting back to normal. That's what matters to me...i love my furbabies
She is lucky to have you:)