Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He is anxious. And get up abruptly after trying to lay down.

Holding his tail down and...
He is anxious. And get up abruptly after trying to lay down. Holding his tail down and won’t let us toiuch it to assess.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 2 year old yellow lab
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Schaefer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Schaefer?
Customer: He has an iron gut and a history of eating anything.
11/13/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Can he wag his tail or is he trying to keep it in a downward position most of the time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Downward position. Will not wag.

Got it, just typing out your answer now ...

Please stand by ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Schaefer is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. In my experience the most likely thing that would cause these symptoms would be a broken tail or trauma of some kind to the tail which has caused bruising and inflammation. This is a not uncommon injury in the dog and can be the result of the dog's tail being trapped in a door or other direct trauma, that said many owners are at a loss to know how the injury may have occurred, and some authorities report that Labs can do this just by wagging their tails too much or too violently. Such dogs will hold their tail very low and be reluctant or unable to wag it as this will elicit pain and they may well be reluctant to sit down.

2. If this is a broken or traumatised tail then usually no treatment is necessary, it will gradually resolve on its own over a two to three week period. However it would be worth having your vet check Schaefer over at the next regular consultation as you will then have the diagnosis confirmed and your vet may prescribe some painkillers which would make your dog very much more comfortable as things settle down.

3. However in the meantime until you can get to a vet you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

4. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

5. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Schaefer's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Schaefer is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his tail problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your advice and checking back on Schaefer. He has attempted to wag his tail and at least raise it on a few occasions, but it still guarding it and not being as active as usual. His appetite is good and he has not whimpered or been as restless today. We are going to watch him closely for changes and will go to our vet if things change.

Thanks for the update, the chances are he will just slowly get better over the next week or so.

But please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott