Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He's been vomitting for the last two hours. He won't drink…

Customer Question
He's been vomitting for...

He's been vomitting for the last two hours. He won't drink or eat anything. He's also started drooling which he never does

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I saw

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

He's a seven year old yellow lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

His name is Wash

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wash?

Nothing, he's in great health and has been fine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/12/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Peck, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a minute while I type my reply...

It's good that it sounds like Wash is otherwise doing well currently and in the past. I'm not surprised that he won't eat or drink right now given the vomiting. The drooling is likely associated with the nausea he's experiencing. You might opt to monitor him very closely and withold food for the next 8-12 hours. Water should be offered in small amounts if he can hold it down. There are many causes of vomiting in dogs. If he continues to vomit, you should seek veterinary assessment and care. Sometimes these cases need some minor supportive care like nausea control and some fluids under their skin, other cases can be more serious. If he seems to be getting worse I'd definitely suggest getting him evaluated today. Often times however, a dog might vomit a couple times over a small time frame like a couple hours and then recover quickly and self-resolve. It just depends on the underlying cause of the vomiting, which there are numerous.

Once he's done vomiting, you might try to give him 20mg PepcidAC to help settle his stomach. If he decides he wants to eat, it should be kept bland - I'd suggest cooked plain chicken and rice or even starting with a small amount of low-fat cottage cheese.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or comments, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.