Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I just got a bulldog rescue and his breathing sounds

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a bulldog rescue and his breathing sounds congested and has a runny noise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

I just got a bulldog rescue and his breathing sounds congested and he has a runny nose. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Mack and he is around 4 according to the humane society

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mack?

No seems fine otherwise

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/12/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you
Reply would be great. Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that your rescued Bull Dog Mack has a runny nose and seems congested.

The most likely cause of his symptoms is a contagious respiratory infection. It can take 3 to 10 days for an infection to incubate and start to develop symptoms, and being stressed in a rescue situation and being exposed to lots of other dogs is a common history.

Infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) is the most common cause of the symptoms that you are seeing as it is highly contagious and because it is airborne it is easily passed to other dogs in a kennel type situation such as an animal shelter. Other more severe infections like Distemper virus, especially if he was not previously vaccinated, are possible though so a veterinary visit is definitely indicated if his discharge turns yellow or green or he runs a high fever, becomes very lethargic or refuses to eat.

If he is eating and drinking well then I am less concerned.
If he is breathing comfortably even with his nasal discharge and sneezing (meaning he is NOT open mouth breathing, or having to pant to breathe, and he can sleep comfortably) I am less concerned.
If his color is good, a nice bubble gum pink color to his gums and tongue, then that is a good sign.
If his body temperature is less then 103.5F-104F then I am less concerned. Though a temperature above 103F indicates a fever most dogs handle a low grade fever due to an infection well for a short period of time.

It would absolutely not be wrong to have him checked today, but it may not be absolutely necessary unless he has a high fever, cannot breathe comfortably and isn't eating and drinking.

Other possible causes of his symptoms could be a foreign body lodged in his nose, a fungal infection, an infected tooth root or a mass in his nasal cavity (less likely at his age) but bacterial or viral infections are much more common.

You can help him feel better by adding warm water to his food to make it smell more (they don't eat if they cannot smell) as well as making it easier to swallow.
Also the more fluids he gets the better. Offer low salt chicken or beef broth, or ice cubes to lick.

Take him into the bathroom with you if you run a hot bath or shower as the steam will soothe his sore throat and airways and thin the mucous in his nose and throat.
If his nose become very congested you can use sterile saline to loosen the thick mucous and remove it. He won't like it but it will help him breathe and be able to smell his food better. You can also use sterile saline to remove eye mucous if it accumulates.

As long as he seems stable he can wait to see a veterinarian.

However Bull Dogs tend to get pneumonia more often then other breeds, so do keep a very close eye on him.

Please feel free to ask further questions if you have them.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****