Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She ate half a pair of panties 4 days ago and hasn't passed…

Customer Question
She ate half a...

She ate half a pair of panties 4 days ago and hasn't passed them. She's done it several times before and typically passes in 2 days. She also has a history of 2 intestinal blockage removal surgeries and scar tissue now though

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Kinsy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kinsy?

Last night and this morning her stool was soft but her appetite has been normal

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/12/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Kinsy.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

While transit time is typically around 12-24 hours when inappropriate things are ingested by our pets, it's possible for the offending object to remain in the stomach for quite some time before moving into the intestines and passing in feces.

For example, my own personal dog ate a sponge (I saw her do it but couldn't reach her in time to retrieve it). It didn't show up in her stools until 7 days later. Obviously, I was concerned that she might become obstructed but I didn't worry too much since she was otherwise acting just fine.

I would give you the same advice: as long as she's not acting ill, then I would wait it out. You could try increasing the fiber in her diet by adding whole wheat bread (which might also help her soft stools) and increasing her exercise/play time....both of which may increase motility.

I'm certain that you know the signs to monitor by now on the off chance that the underwear might cause an issue for her which are vomiting, lethargy and disinterest in food. But, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned just yet since she's not acting other than her normal self even though so much time has passed.

I hope this helps, Deb

She is on prescription GI low fat food...should I try some other food other than the wheat bread to help the process along?

I wouldn't change her diet then since I assume she's on this diet for a reason.

You could feed her an additional meal each day but I wouldn't want to upset her gi system too much by adding much else since there's no guarantee that it will move the underwear out of her stomach. Exercise may help but, again, no guarantee. This is primarily one of those situations where you have to wait it out and hope that the underwear will show up although I know how difficult this is to do.

Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Kinsy. Did she eventually pass the underwear she ate? Deb