Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a full bad of raisins yesterday. Polar and he's 7…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a full bad of raisins yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Polar and he's 7 years 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Polar?

Bag*

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

He at a whole bag yesterday, correct?

I brought him to the vet yesterday and the induced vomiting and it looked as if he vomited the amount of raisins he ate out. They also gave him charcoal and then took blood work and we took himhome

I see. Did they talk about hospitalizing him at all?
How is your dog doing today?

I don't know if I am just being paranoid but I feel like he's laying around more and a lot more relaxed than normal
they wanted to keep him with iv for two days but we couldn't afford $2000 unfortunately

I see.

How is appetite? Any vomiting? Does he seem normal otherwise?

I haven't fed him a huge amount since yesterday. I fed him a can of dog food they gave me spoon by spoon. No vomiting. He's just very relaxed...
I am bringing him in this morning to get more blood work.

I see.

The changes from raisins typically take a day or two to kick in. This can range from a little lethargy to profuse vomiting and severe decline.

Unfortunately at this point, you are playing a waiting game to see if anything comes up. If he is acting off, you can have his bloodwork checked to see if there are any changes, but otherwise you are still in the monitor stage. I think you are hyper-aware right now since the raisins were eaten, so you are going to notice lots of little things that are likely normal. Your big sign is going to be vomiting or lack of appetite. If that is happening, it is likely he is moving into acute renal failure.

the main signs to look for is vomiting and loss of appetite
how long is the "monitor" stage

Yes. The monitor stage will be about 3-5 days. After 5 days, if he is normal you will be good. If bloodwork starts to show changes, then the damage has been done.

if the blood work starts to show anything it's too late ?

Yes. Generally if bloodwork shows signs it is too late. You can try fluids then, but they are not going to be as effective as doing it now.

Okay thank you

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!