Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He accidentally eat this borax it’s like powder and i don’t…

Customer Question
He accidentally eat this...

He accidentally eat this borax it’s like white powder and i don’t know what it is but my brother told me it was borax and i not sure how much he consumed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey and today he turned 5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

I got him from a breeder they gave him shots before i got him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/12/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The good news is that smaller amounts of borax are not that toxic to dogs, where it was just a teaspoon or two in a larger dog then in most cases adverse symptoms will not occur, but at doses above 3 g. per pound of the dog's bodyweight you would then start to see symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy. But in any cases fatalities would be rare.

2. Where you are not sure how much borax has been consumed then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the borax that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. Of course if you fail to induce vomiting and adverse symptoms do occur then you should have Bailey checked over by your local vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.