Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My puppy has a glob of tissue sticking out of the corner of…

Customer Question
My puppy has a...

My puppy has a glob of tissue sticking out of the corner of his eye. P

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Scooter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooter?

He doesn't seem to notice it. It just looks bad. Not really red, but pink and is located where the tear duct is.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about Scooter and I understand your concern.

Does your puppy's eye look like the dog's eye in the link below?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Prolapsed_gland_of_the_third_eyelid.JPG

If so then this is likely a prolapsed third eyelid gland (cherry eye).

This occurs due to weak cartilage in the third eyelid which allows the gland to prolapse out of position.

Sometimes with an eye infection the gland will enlarge and pop out of place. By treating the infection and inflammation with eye drops it may slide back into place, but it rarely stays in place once it has prolapsed out.

I recommend using drops to treat inflammation and any possible infection, but ideally this would be treated surgically, tacking the gland back into place so it stays in position permanently.

Do not allow removal of part of the everted gland. It is important in tear production and if removed most dogs will end up with dry eye, or Kerratoconjunctivitis sicca. This condition would necessitate applying artificial tears to the eye several times a day for the rest of his life, could predispose to secondary infections, or damage to his cornea leading to painful ulcers and pigmentation which could interfere with his vision.

If your veterinarian isn't comfortable with replacement surgery then ask for referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist so the surgery may be done properly.

Possible complications of the surgery are a suture reaction or that the tack doesn't take and needs to be redone, but those are short term problems which are easily remedied.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

What eye drops is recommended? Is surgery the only answer?

Over the counter I would use plain artificial tears to keep the gland/eye lubricated.

Prescription drops we can use that are anti-inflammatory and have antibiotics include TobraDex or Maxitrol, or Neo-Poly-Dex.

We can try drops first, but they almost always end up needing surgery.

I won't rate. This was informative, but my neighbor gave me better advice and she just raises goats. I was afraid that if i asked another question that I would get charged again. I won't use this service again.

I am mystified by your response. While I appreciate that you found my information helpful I not sure how your neighbor that raises goats has anything to do with my advice. She may have years of experience raising goats, and perhaps that could be helpful in general, but we are speaking about different animals/species.

As far as being charged again for another question, you did ask a follow-up question and received a response, which was covered under you initial deposit.

While you have placed a deposit I am not paid unless you rate my response positively, which you apparently aren't willing to do.

I will ask that your deposit be refunded since you aren't happy with my initial response, nor that I was willing to answer a follow up question.