Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He is biting his nails I think. I hear crunchy sounds

Customer Question
He is biting his...

He is biting his nails I think. I hear crunchy sounds whenever he is licking his nails. And he pukes almost every other day. It looks like white or yellowish foam

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I just gave him his regular dog food. I Stopped giving him white rice and I gave him some dry aged steak last week, since then he started puking thats why I stopped.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Aslan he's around 10 months now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Aslan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aslan?

I think that's about it. He was aleeady neutured before I fot him and has receives all his shots. Im only worried abput him vomitting lately. And his constant bitibg of his nails. But there aren't any wounds

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
11/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 5 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed is Asian?

Has he ever been on antibiotics?

Does he normally have beef in his diet?

What is his normal food?

Why were you giving him white rice?

How often is he fed?

Does he lick his feet often or is this new as well.

He is a australian mini,
He has never had antibiotics.
His diet is normally dry dog food.
I have given him white rice before to balance the dry dog food.
The feet licking wasn't a big de before but now he is doing it a lot once in the morning and at night.

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply. I was not notified that I had a reply.

Licking and chewing paws is often an indication of a food allergy. Depending on his normal dog food. it could be an allergic reaction to beef. Many dogs are allergic to beef as well as a variety of other foods. Often they will have nausea, licking and chewing and even leads to skin dermatitis as a result of the scratching. You can read about allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

You might try trimming his nails to be sure he isn't biting the nails because they are too long. I'd also give benadryl at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours and see if that doesn't help the licking and the nausea. I would not feed any other beef product and stick to a food that he has had before when he didn't lick his paws. Switch to 3 meals a day to keep food in his stomach more often. These should help correct the problem.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .