Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My German Shepherd ate the nylon straps off of my Chacos

Customer Question

My German Shepherd ate the nylon straps off of my Chacos Sandals. She didn’t eat the plastic pieces. Will her stomach acid be able to digest the nylon fabric?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well her stomach acid will not be able to digest nylon, but with a larger dog like Sasha it is very possible that the nylon straps will just pass or she will vomit them up over the next couple of days, this will be particularly true if she chewed the nylon into fragments of any size first.

2. In my experience most larger dogs will get away with this sort of incident. However be aware that there is a potential for a problem to occur here. So monitor her carefully for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if any such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course an alimentary tract obstruction.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sasha's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your German Shepherd is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the sandals incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Thanks for the photos, you have cut them a bit short ! Where there is a clear nail things are easy, just look at the quick in the nail which will be like a red line and then just cut a little bit below that. This will also give you an idea where to cut any black ones, but best leave them a bit longer.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Sorry, I made that last post in Error ...

Dr Scott