Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Hes coughing real bad hard time breathing in and out. Tattoo…

Customer Question
Hes coughing real bad...

Hes coughing real bad hard time breathing in and out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Tattoo 4 1/2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tattoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tattoo?

Thats it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
11/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Does the cough sound like a honkin gor like a hairball cough that a cat does?

Has he been around other dogs?

Is tattoo having any issues with going for walks now or before this coughing started?

What breed is Tattoo?

What have you tried so far to stop the coughing?

Does Tattoo have a heart condition that you know of?

Kinda like a furball. Min pin mix. No goes for ealks ok plays with big dog. Cought somevwhite foam like sguff at times

Thanks for the additional information. it is helpful.

Dogs cough for a variety of reasons. They do not get colds like humans but can develop upper respiratory illnesses such as kennel cough and canine influenza as well as bronchitis and inhaled allergies. Usually kennel cough is described as hairball like or like a goose honking. However, let me go over the various causes.

Just like humans, dogs can get bronchitis. You can read about bronchitis here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chronic-bronchitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dogs can also be allergic to inhaled things like pollens, air fresheners, cleaning supplies, dust, etc. This will often cause sneezing and nasal congestion even some eye issues. If this is the case, Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

You can read about these here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=479

Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show, dog park or pet store. A dog can contract it when they go to the vets or play with a dog that is contagioius. In most cases an adult dog will have it for about 3 weeks before recovering without treatment. Often a vet will supply antibiotics if it is a pup that has contracted kennel cough. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=452

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. They also have to be exposed to this to develop it. Here is an excellent site on it.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/canine-influenza-virus-dog-flu/page1.aspx

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and may require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dog breathe easier you can run a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in, or sit in a steamed up bathroom with your dog to help keep the mucous moving. Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. It should only contain dextromethorphan and Guaifenisen. and should NOT contain pseudoephedrine. If your dog has not had a vet visit in a while or a heart condition is suspected you should not give Robitussin until it is ruled out as it can mask heart issues. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

There are other reasons for coughs such as heart problems which should be investigated if your dog is not on heartworm preventative or is an older dog. The following site goes over canine coughs.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cough.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chest-lung-conditions.aspx

Your dog could be doing what is called a reverse sneeze or a collapsing trachea. Here is a site on reverse sneezes and one on collapsing tracheas.

http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/tracheal_collapse.htm

Smaller dogs are prone to collapsing trachea. Owners report stroking the neck during an episode often shortens the coughing episodes and lessens the severity of the cough.

Valley fever is also an issue in some states which you can read about here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/valley-fever-in-dogs

I would suspect kennel cough or maybe a collapsing trachea . If your dog is exercise intolerant, you will want to have Tattoo checked for a heart condition.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.