Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My bf dog just ate his,prescription of zanax they are.5 and…

Customer Question
My bf dog just...

My bf dog just ate his,prescription of zanax they are.5 and he's about 35-40 lbs we live 2hrs away from an emergency vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Draco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Draco?

No other than he is walking into things and is very wobbly

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
11/10/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dosing of alprazolam in dogs is recommended at up to 0.05 mg per pound of body weight which would be equivalent to 2 mg for Draco. His ataxia ("drunken sailor") may be alarming but it will be transient and he'll remain safe if he ingested just the one or even four of the pills. Please clarify how many of the 0.5 mg pills were ingested, please.

I'm guessing 5-6

Thank you. Because life-threatening signs of overdose with the benzodiazepines such as alprazolam are rare in dogs, I recommend that you only confine Draco so he can't harm himself stumbling around. You mustn't induce emesis in a dog who's already symptomatic and dosing with activated charcoal may be more risky than of benefit. The only reason to seek veterinary help would be if significant respiratory depression arose and that's very unlikely even if he had ingested 3 mg (6 x 0.5 mg). Peak plasma levels of this drug occur in 1-2 hours and so I would expect his beginning to normalize within 4-6 hours post-ingestion unaided. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian