Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Have an English bulldog that has red irritated area below…

Customer Question
Have an English bulldog...

Have an English bulldog that has red irritated area below tail. He has a horrendous odor from the area and when moving bowels cloudy puss comes out. Additionally when clean area get some blood and about 2 1/2 inches over on his hip has an abcess/ wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Oren. 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oren?

Oden. Not oren

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/10/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of the areas of concern?

let me go wake him up

If the anus was a clock, where on the clock would the red area be? I cannot ascertain what you're seeing from the pictures.

How long has he been passing pus?

Did your vet give you a diagnosis for the condition?

Today way thr first time after he pooped. Its been a yellow red liquid and from 11-1. Im not sure exactly what the vet said because i sent my son (dog) w my girlfriend. And not to mention it was the vet at petsmart who may be all of 21 yrs old so its secind opinion time

This sounds like it could be an abscessed anal gland where pus is flowing from the gland each time he defecates. He would smell off as you'd be detecting the odor of infection/necrotic tissue. Your vet should be able to lance and drain the gland or even express it internally and pack it with antibiotic ointment to help it heal. If I understood correctly and there is an abscess on his hip, this could be clipped and cleaned at the same time and the anal gland concern was addressed. Antibiotics are worthwhile in these cases, but they usually work faster when active infection is drained, when possible.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi Gina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?