Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our cane corso is 18months old and he weighs 82 lbs. We feed…

Our cane corso is...

Our cane corso is 18months old and he weighs 82 lbs. We feed him about 5 cups of food per day. His ribs show and his hips are skinny. We are not sure why he is not gaining weight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Drake is 18 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Drake?

We have had concerns with him since we got him. He doesnt run a lot and sits funny. He has been moving like an older dog since 5 months.

10/21/2017
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What food is he on specifically such as innova lamb and rice for large breeds?

Does he have normal bowel movements?

When was his last vet visit?

We just found a pile of vomit in the yard. We have 2 cane Corso's so were not sure which dog it was from.

The most common cause for a dog not to gain weight is parasites such as worms, coccidia or giardia which causes food to move through the system too fast and off course, with worms, they are consuming a lot of the food. I'm glad you are getting this checked out.

Most sites list the weight for an adult male to be 90 to 120 pounds so while he is underweight, he isn't that far from the low end of the weight range. Now right now you are feeding him about 5 cups of beneful. A dog 75 to 100 pounds should be fed 4 3/4 to 5 3/4 cups. Growing dogs need a little more than the recommended amounts so I'd be feeding him at least twice a day and feed 3 cups each of those times for a total of 6 cups for the day.

If he seems to be having problems moving around, you will want to have him checked for arthritis and abnormal joint. If that is an issue, you might supplement with glucosamine which is found in many dog foods now since it promotes good joint health.

Now if your boy is allergic to the food, he might experience stomach upset and food moving through too fast and thus not gain weight as quickly as he should. In addition, some organ dysfunction such as liver failure contributes to lower than normal weight gain. I'd plan on getting some bloodwork done in the near future if your vet does not find any parasites. Parasites can also lead to vomiting when the worms thrash around in the dog's stomach.

Since he is obviously underweight, first try increasing the amount of food and being sure he is parasite free. If that doesn't help, have bloodwork run and perhaps switch to a limited ingredient diet to ensure it is not a food intolerance.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Thank you for the response. We will take him back in and see a specialist.

You are very welcome.