Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is acting sad and wont come to us and gets shakey when…

She is acting sad...

She is acting sad and wont come to us and gets shakey when we come near

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Zoey and she is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?

She was fine when we went out and when we came back she is acting odd and wont go near our other dog

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your girl Zoey. Is there anything she could have gotten in to while you were out? Is she drinking water ok?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

There is nothing that i can think off. She seems to be eating and drinking okay. She went to the bathroom okay about 3 hours ago

Ok thank you for that. I am replying now with a few key parameters you will need to keep an eye on. I'll have this with you in the next few minutes.

Dr E

Thank you

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Zoey's symptoms are definitely a worry here and as these symptoms aren't very specific, we do have to consider everything from a behavioral issue (perhaps something happened with your other dog while you were out), to an internal organ issue, a musculoskeletal problem, or even a toxicity (although it doesn't sound like she could have gotten into anything concerning. Whatever the case here, you are going to have to continue to keep a close eye on your girl tonight. Hopefully you can convince her out from wherever she is, so you can take a closer look at her. In particular over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully these parameters are all normal, but if not, or if she continues to shake and seem lethargic, you should definitely try and get her seen tonight if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian