Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 10 year old male Whippet has a round lump approximately…

My 10 year old male...
My 10 year old male Whippet has a round lump approximately 2-3 cm in diametet in his lung found on an xray. He had an abdominal ultrasound with no abnormal findings. He also had a nose, throat and bronchial endoscopy done again no abnormal findings. He is not coughing & still eating but is lethargic, has slightly laboured breathing, is snorting and generally not himself. This finding of the lump followed 3-4 months of him proressively slowing down - he has not been running which is something he loved to do - as whippets do. The vet has prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication to see if they help. If not they are suggesting a CT scan to give a more accurate diagnosis. In your opinion how likely is it a cancer tumor versus an abscess or intrnal cyst?
10/21/2017
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When was the last time an x-ray was done of the chest?

Yesterday

Okay thanks for the additional information. If he is progressively slowing down with some increase in breathing I would more suspect that the tumor is a cancer vs something else. Especially if he doesn't respond to the medications that have been prescribed. One option that you may have prior to a CT is if you can find a veterinarian who is willing to do a ultrasound of the lungs. Some times they may be able to get a sample of the mass with a needle which could give you a better idea of what it is.

Thank you. I will suggest an ultrasound of his lung to his vet and boipsy and see what they say if the medication doesn’t work.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne