Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I received ringworm from a kitten I was taking care of then…

I received ringworm from...

I received ringworm from a kitten I was taking care of then I just noticed my dogs paw looks like it is ringworm can I put my prescription cream of ketoconazole on her paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Mollie she is a 8.5 year old puggle never had any medical issues

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mollie?

She keeps licking the area

10/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Thank you for helping me & mollie
Please let me know if what I did was good
Are you there

I'm here. It takes a few minutes for transmissions to come through from your end to my own.

Ok this is my first time using this

I would not use any ringworm ointment on this area as it does not appear to be ringworm. It's fairly uncommon for dogs to acquire ringworm from cats without direct transmission but, what's more, this area is very angry. She should not be licking a ringworm lesion because they don't hurt. Has she suffered any injury to this toe? Does she lick her feet regularly? Is she wearing an e-collar yet?

No e collar, she has licked her
Paws before but never like this has appeared I already put the cream on not the prescription but the otc one and looks like it’s gotten better in minutes time

If it's improving at all with rapidity this is strongly suggesting that ringworm is not the culprit as ringworm takes days to weeks before improvements are noted.

I would urge you to use regular Neosporin on the area and, regardless of what you use, do NOT allow her to lick it. She needs to be placed into an e-collar. Many products that are used on the skin are not safe to be ingested and can be toxic to dogs. If you do not already have one to use, you can make an e-collar at home using these instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU You can also pick one up from your local pet store, vet's office or even purchase one online.

I do think that Mollie would benefit most from a vet visit. Many things can cause lesions like this from allergies to foreign bodies. Mollie needs to have the area examined and may also need a course of oral antibiotics and pain medication if she's sensitive in the area. Your vet may also want to try a course of steroids to reduce the inflammation so she's less likely to want to lick at the area.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you. I will call the vet tomorrow. She is not licking it as we’re heading to bed.
Is there a way to get a copy of this conversation

It should stay available when you visit this page. Save the link and it'll bring you right back here.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy