Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Are you able to determine the results of a CheckUpKit?

10/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

6-7 would be considered within normal ranges for most diagnostic testing. The checkup kit is not perfect and may read slightly off, so we usually don't become too concerned with 0.5 percentage change in any given direction. Below this or above this your vet would likely want to check a urine sample for urinary crystals.

Did you have additional questions regarding the test itself?

This looks closer to 7 to me.

The others you would say negative?

I'd say strong positive for blood if it's the square on the bottom and this pic was taken within the time recommended. It's green where it should be light orange.

I don't know what happened, after looking at the pictures again. The 1 on the left was green and that was the untested one, maybe it was a bad strip to begin with.I got another sample from my dog and did 3 different strips and they all looked the same as each other. Attached is a new test.
If there was blood in the first sample, would there be blood in a sample taken 1-2 hours later? (trying to figure out if the first strips I tested were wrong, as mentioned in picture it was green before I even tested with it)
Should higher protein be any concern?
How long can a test sample be good for? Can I leave it in the fridge and take the sample to a vet for them to test in the morning?
Is this something normal that people do is bring in a sample for testing?

These look totally normal with a pH around 7. You should get the same results each time you run this test so the first was likely a fluke.

It's hard to say if higher protein would be a concern as the information on this test is very limited. At 4, though, I would not expect it to be a concern.

This test should be run on fresh urine, if possible. I would aim for a fresh sample to have your vet run if you can. The longer it sits the higher the likelihood of incorrect values.

People do bring urine in for testing frequently. I recommend one be run annually on dogs, personally, but you aren't getting one of the biggest benefits with the CheckUp kit as you are with your vet and that's a sediment analysis.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
thank you!

You're welcome! Let me know if you need any additional support.

Hi Customer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexi. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse