Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think my dog ate a small cotton pad, like you use to

remove makeup along with some...
I think my dog ate a small cotton pad, like you use to remove makeup along with some of that stretchy stick to itself athletic wrap. I did not see him do it but can't find it either. He is a 65 pound retriever.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...

so, the small cotton pad will likely pass...how much of the athletic wrap is missing?

Maybe 6 inches stretched. It is kind of gauze like, but heavier

So, since he ate the gauze you will have to take your dog in to the ER clinic because this amount can potentially cause an obstruction........

can I answer any other questions for you or help you in any way?

Have you tried giving hydrogen peroxide?

do you know when your dog ate this?

I don't think I need a phone call. I know to take him to the vet if he isn't eating, or vomiting or doesn't seem to be passing stool. And I am not sure he ate it. I just can't find any sign of it which is strange if he shredded it up while getting it off his paw.

Ignore the phone call...that is automatic prompt.....have you tried hydrogen peroxide?

do you want to try and induce vomiting? Or do you want to wait?

If he ate it was between 6 and 7 this evening.
The only E E is about 1 1/2 hours away.
ER

well it could be still in stomach...sometimes these things take a while to pass...

if you cannot go to ER then you can either induce vomiting and hope that it works or wait and watch for vomiting,diarrhea or lack of appetite.....

U am nervous that he could choke on it if I induce vomiting.

Then you can only wait and watch...

or go to ER...

can I answer any other questions?

If I take him to the Vet in the am will they be able to determine if he actually are it, perhaps with an ultrasound
Ate

These types of foreign material can be very difficult to see with xrays or ultrasound unless there is an actual obstruction of change in bowel anatomy....

Or an xray

These show up as soft tissue appearing.....on xray or ultrasound....

Xrays look for change in bowel anatomy,gas patterns and obstructions and ileus...

only metal or bone actually shows up....

Okay.. I will call my Vet in the morning and see what he wants to do. Hopefully, I will find that he worked it off his paw and it is in an out of the way spot.
Thank you.

I would recommend baseline xrays......

and baseline CBC....

If you do not currently have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian