Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog will not enter other people's houses except for my

My dog will not enter...
My dog will not enter other people's houses except for my parents. She runs back to the car and calmly sits and waits. Why is this? I would have to drag or carry her and she weights 70 lbs.
10/18/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated. I am reviewing your question now.

What is her personality type? Is she openly happy about seeing new people and new dogs, or is she shy at first?

How often do you take her to other houses?

How often does she go to your parents?

What have you tried so far with her?

I see you are offline at this time and I will be going off for a short while but I will check in to see if you have had a chance to answer the questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She likes other dogs, is happy to meet new people but is afraid of middle aged Caucasian males.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She travels with us always in a car or RV. She will not willingly walk in the vets office or a groomer and has to be carried.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is three. We got her from a shelter at six weeks old. She has always lived with us. She is a mixed pointer/pitbull. She is not very territorial but is jelous of others receiving attention. She looks best with my family of tour and we indoor cats and rabbits.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, auto correct. It should have said she lives with my family of farm and with indoor cats and indoor rabbits all of which she adores.

Thank you for that information. Usually in a shelter situation there may not be time for a lot of human contact and dogs will usually feel more secure with other animals, particularly dogs. When they attach to other dogs , there is a kind of human bond that is not established to a certain level of comfort.

Dogs like this do well in an environment that they know to be consistent. Going into a strangers house is not a consistent environment as seen through a dogs eyes. Everyone runs their home differently. I suspect that your parents are seen as consistent people to the dog and therefore not a worry about unexpected responses.

Many dogs are borne with personality types, and through parts of their life they go through fear imprints. This starts at neonatal and depending on how caretakers handled or even if they recognized it, could determine what a dog may fear through life.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Her mother was shipped to our state after a series of tornadoes in Oklahoma. She was fixed at five weeks at the Humane Society. I expect that is where the fear of middle aged men came from.

Ah, yes, the tornadoes alone are frightening. If that all came along during a fear imprint then the dog would carry much of that with her for life.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hi, I just wanted to send a quick note to thank you kindly for the rating. It is very much appreciated.

Sally

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant