Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My sheltie started limping a few weeks ago and I noticed his…

My sheltie started limping...

My sheltie started limping a few weeks ago and I noticed his right front leg had a swelling encoding the first, lowest joint. It isn't tender to touch it, he is eating and drinking normally, and is same sweet mood as always. He seems worse at to es, then like it barely bothers him at all. He doesn't wince or indicate pain so I keep putting off vet visit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes and cannot see one

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Treat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Treat?

He's going on 10, is about 5lb overweight.

10/18/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am working on a response right now. Please give me just a moment, I tend to type a lot to try to provide you with as much information as possible.

No problem

The first really good thing about what you mentioned is that Treat does not seem painful at all and is going on about his daily life with no problems. That is a really good sign.

Typically when a dog develops bone cancer, these lesions are quite painful and very difficult to control as far as pain.

There are a few other things that could be going on, but of course could only be diagnosed with an exam and x-rays. I will list out a few for you. These are generally non-cancerous bone or skin tumors:

1. Bone cyst

2. Fibrous dysplasia of a joint

3. Fibromas

4. Chondromas

5. Osteoarthritis

6. Or other soft tissue swelling that is not related to the bone whether it be a fatty mass or actually swelling of the skin and surround tissue.

typing more....

I think the only part of the history that concerns me a little ibt

Sorry didn't finish my sentence!!!

The names don't mean that much really so don't let that confuse you. I think that the only thing that concerns me about the history is his age.

Why does his age concern you?

Anytime there is a new lump or new lesion on an older pet, it is better to be safe and have it checked out before it becomes a problem. Again, he doesn't know that there is a problem and is otherwise doing great, but it would certainly give you peace of mind to have it checked just to be sure that it is nothing serious.

Older dogs are generally more prone to developing more serious lesions. Just like with people, the older you get the more concerned you become if you find a mass etc.

We obviously see less cancerous masses in young pets, not that it can't happen, but age can certainly increase the chances of disease. Now that is not the scare you AT ALL. I really am happy that he is otherwise feeling great and having no pain. But i have to make sure that I give you all sides of things, especially since I am unable to examine him, feel or see the lesion and make a better judgement about what is going on.

That makes sense. I was being hopeful that it's just an arthritic condition.

I would recommend that you continue to monitor him closely and if it is not resolving or if you notice that it is increasing in size or he is becoming sensitive, at least have him examined to make sure that it is nothing serious. And yes it is possible it could just be osteoarthritis and maybe it is too early for him to really show signs of discomfort. By the sounds of it, he is way too comfortable to osteosarcoma, which is extremely painful.

I think that you are on the right track and you will know if he is not doing well.

What breed is he by the way?

Oh sorry, I just saw that you put Sheltie!!

I'll go ahead and schedule a vet appointment for him for next week. He's a sheltie.

I bet he is really a cute guy. That is a really sweet breed and I never heard that name before, I really like it!!!

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how he is doing. I will also follow up with you to see how things are going.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian
Thanks for your advice!
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Veterinarian