Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog may have mated with my other dog and bow her nipples…

My dog may have...

My dog may have mated with my other dog and bow her nipples r larger and her brests are swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Brandy is 11 months a English Mastiff and 104 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brandy?

She has some morning sickness and has been tearing up her bed and drinking more

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How certain are you that mating occurred { Very unlikely ---> Highly likely } ?

It is very possible she was in her first heat did not fight him off i have to work and i can only guess what happened while i was at work. This went on for a month from the end of August to the end of September and now her nipples and brest r swollen she is growing a utter
No odd sounds she is making
I can send u pictures of her

Just typing out your answer now, it is quite lengthy so please stand by ...

Sure, please send the photos.

Hello again,

Well it is certainly possible that Brandy is pregnant, your vet will be able to confirm this, the normal length of pregnancy in the dog is between 63 - 65 days by the way.

1. But there is another possibility, when a dog has a season and was not successfully mated then it is a normal part of the cycle that some weeks later she will have what is called a false pregnancy. While the symptoms of a false pregnancy can vary it often includes temporary breast and nipple enlargement and sometimes even milk production, sometimes these dogs can also be moody or nervous and will often carry toys around as if they are puppies and can start to make nests.

2. If Brandy has a false pregnancy then there is no safe treatment for this in my opinion, there are hormones which can be given but I would not use them on my own bitch. The good news is that false pregnancy is a natural process and will regress on its own in one to two weeks time and everything should then return to normal. Dogs which have been spayed do not get false pregnancies by the way ....

4. If you are in doubt what is going on then your best option is to have your vet check her over. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Did u get the pictures

They have not come through, can you post the URL here ?

I don't know how
Did it

Got your photos thanks, ***** ***** photos it could go either way, both a real pregnancy and a false pregnancy could go like this ...

Sorry we are no further forward.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank u how do i log off

No need to log off on this site, no problem with leaving the question open ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Ty

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Brandy is getting on after our recent dialogue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott