Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 12 year old female has been in obvious pain and

My 12 year old female...
My 12 year old female ***** ***** has been in obvious pain and discomfort for a few days. Came indoors and was crying out in pain, without even being touched or petted (although she does do that when you touch her back area, which seemed kind of swollen or firm)
Took her to the vet yesterday and they did an x-ray, said she had a ton of trapped gas and backed up poop in her stomach. When they took her temperature, she had a fever of 104 and was a bit dehyrated, so they gave her a fluid shot. They recommended feeding her plain food, so I gave her chicken and brown rice with a little bit of cut up canned green beans. The vet also gave me some Famotidine tablets to give her. I know it has only been a day, but is there anything else I can do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/17/2017
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry Lucy is feeling poorly.

I would suggest the bland diet be 1 part chicken, 3 parts rice and to the Mixture add one teaspoon full of Pure canned Pumpkin to the mixtire. Pumpkin is a bulking fiber and is used for moving stool through the intestinal tract. It is an excellent source of fiber and should help. I would also give some Pedialyte for fluids. She needs fluid to help soften and move the stool. Hopefully this will help her feel better.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Joan

Hmmm...
Thanks for getting back to me, Joan!She's a great, sweet little dog, but definitely getting up there in her years and I'm sure, unfortunately, things like this are going to happen :-/
Especially over the past couple years, Lucy hasn't been the best at drinking enough water throughout the day. Also, maybe relevant that she can be sometimes sort of anal retentive--a few years ago we got a male Jack puppy, whom can be a bit of a bully/jerk when it comes to the backyard. He will sometimes pester or try to play with her when she needs to do her business, and I think sometimes comes inside without having done so.
Dogs get bored of their food, and I've switched their dry food a couple times, not too many. Whenever I did, I have used that pumpkin concentrate paste mixed in. I switched over to trying a powder form of the pumpkin which you just add some water to. Because she is getting older and her teeth aren't the best, ***** ***** to start recently putting some canned wet food mixed in with their dry. Since the wet food transition, I haven't been using the pumpkin come to think of it! Stupid question, but with the Pedialyte, should I just add that to her food if she won't drink it on its own?

You are welcome! I use Pure canned Pumpkin for times when I need a Natural bulking fiber it is mild on the stomach and works well. The pedialyte can go in broth or her water. No Flavor but great for electrolytes.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I recieve a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
You've got it! Will gladly give you 5 stars right now--Lastly, would it make sense that this would cause her to have trouble going up and down 2 small steps to go potty outside that normally is no problem for her? I know she is getting old, but I'm hoping the x ray and symptoms are just the stomach issue and nothing worse or more serious.

It could be the discomfort, but I would keep a watchful eye on her. Could be a little Arthritis in the spine or legs. Hoping it was just a full belly.

Joan

Hi Anthony,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Joan