Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I am a nurse practitioner for humans needing heart/lung

transplants and unfortunately during a...
I am a nurse practitioner for humans needing heart/lung transplants and unfortunately during a recent trip out of state (accompanied by my two beloved Morkies of course) my female, Lily, went into heat. We had been waiting to have her spayed per our vets advice until she was a year old. Her first heat occurred two days after her first birthday while I was away therefore I didn’t have an opportunity to follow through with the spay. My ale is from a different litter and their birthdays are one day apart. How can I determine if Lily is r
Tenant (she is pretty chubby right now) and if she is how can I best prepare? Will my male be aggressive towards the
Julie’s? How soon can I have her spayed after delivery?
I’m sorry I’m trying to ask how can I determine if Lily is pregnant and will my male be aggressive towards puppies? How can I insure that Lily is progressing safely and during labor what will be the signs and symptoms that she is in trouble and needs to be taken to our vet?
10/16/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

The only way to be 100% certain she is pregnant would be to get an ultra sound done. The Vet will be able to see them and pick up the heart beats. Usually this can be done 2 weeks after the tie. I strongly recommend an x ray down the road to see how many puppies are in there. This will alert you to a problem. If the pup is stuck inside.

The temp will drop to around 99 about 24 hours before delivery and she will seek a place to birth (called nesting). This is why it is a good idea to have her whelping box (with pig rails) set up in advance so she can get used to it.

Be prepared for the possibility that you may need to give nose to mouth if there are problems. Usually , everything goes fine, but you should be prepared. Also have puppy bottles and formula handy in case one is not suckling.

You may need a heat lamp depending on where the set up is for her to give birth. Get a pole (or hang it from a rope on a hook in the ceiling) so it can be raised or lowered accordingly. IF the pups are cold they will huddle together to keep warm, if they are too hot then they will try to move away from each other and away from the heat source.

Dogs do go through false pregnancy and will show all the signs of a pregnant dog including milk leakage.

I am going to direct you to some links that will tell you what you need for set up that will help you.

whelping kit

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelpingkit.htm

whelping puppies

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

** http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/whelping.html

Also , something we don't usually think about is keeping the number of your Vet office and an Emergency Vet office right near the phone in case you have an emergency.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.