Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We’re planning to leave Justice with the breeder for a

couple of weeks for an...
We’re planning to leave Justice with the breeder for a couple of weeks for an upcoming vacation; I don’t want to ask the breeder to do anything special for his food since she’s taking care of about 10 or mother other Dobermans at the same time. So I’m planning to just give her his kibble to feed him...my question is will withholding his probiotic for this period of time have any adverse effect? Should I wean him off it before we leave? Thanks very much, Mary.
10/16/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...is your dog taking the probiotic for a specific reason or just general health?

I would prefer to wait for the expert to whom I directed this question...thank you for understanding

NO problem.....I did not see you requested a specific expert , sorry.....DRB

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hi, Mary! Sorry for the delay. I was away from the computer for a short while for dinner.

You have a few options here. You could premix the food where she only needs to give a portion of premixed food from a baggie with the probiotic already mixed in or you can move him off of the probiotic for a few days while he stays there. How are his stools doing? Any vomiting? Is he gaining weight again?

Thank you! He’s doing well, good poop and no vomiting, and he’s putting on weight. I did take him to the groomer for a bath today and she noted a couple of bald spots on his coat so I think I’ll start giving him fish oil...any thoughts about that?

Excellent! I think this would be a good move when you guys return unless you can gently transition him on to it before you need to leave. Fish oil can be wonderful for skin but it can also cause diarrhea. I'd personally work on getting weight back on him and leave the fish oil for when he's back to a normal weight. The recent GI debacle might be the caused for the bald spots in the coat, too, and overcoming that may permit regrowth of fur.

Ok, that makes sense...and I didn’t realize fish oil can cause diarrhea. So it’s probably not a good idea to introduce another variable (salmon oil) until later on, and we’d have to stop it while we’re away anyway. So for now I’ll just leave well enough alone and give him some time to adjust and put on weight. (I hope his going to the breeder’s isn’t going to stress him out and cause diarrhea...he may not like living like a kennel dog again).

It can and often does when given in the volume needed to help with coat conditioning. We usually need to start with small amounts and work our way up. I would not add another variable until later on, that's right. I certainly hope the same to be true and tell Justice to stay away from any stray socks ;)

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Ha ha..maybe he’ll benefit from the sock-free environment!