Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 12 yr old corgi with DM. She still has some

I have a 12 yr...
I have a 12 yr old corgi with DM. She still has some movement, but we use a sling for our walks. Yesterday I brushed her and didn't notice anything unusual. Today, I brushed and all of the hair skin and all came off. She has a big bald patch. She then tried to eat all the hair. ??? What is that????
10/15/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just her usual. Resting in her spot. Haven't been able to get her to go out yet.

Can you share pictures of the fur loss you're seeing? Has her demeanor changed since finding this area?

Thank you for this. Where on the body is this located? Did you brush her all over and this is the only spot or did you stop when this happened?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had brushed her all over the day before and didn't see anything. This is just down her back. It worried me when she started eating the hair as I brushed it.

This is a common response from dogs, I would be more concerned about the fact that she's losing hair like this. Did you brush her all over yesterday and this is the only spot or did you stop when this happened? Is she scratching at all? Chewing on herself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I stopped when this happened. She isn't scratching or chewing herself. Just sleeping all day until I rouse her to go outside to potty.

I think the best bet is going to be a vet visit and bloodwork. I cannot tell you for certain, but this area looks rather suspicious for the patches of hair loss we see in dogs with hypothyroidism (which is fairly common in corgis). If this is a thyroid condition, your vet can take bloodwork in house and typically the results are available within a short time. If she does have a thyroid conditions, they will give her medication to supplement the loss of hormone in her body and daily supplementation will permit regrowth of her hair and she will, within a period of weeks, go back to looking normal. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2097&aid=449

If her bloodwork is normal, your vet may wish to try melatonin therapy for the fur loss and also check the skin for ectoparasites such as fleas, mange mites, etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse