Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My daughter had two antibiotics 500mg amox, laying on

counter to take, she got...
My daughter had two antibiotics 500mg amox, laying on counter to take, she got them and now she's acting funny and acting like she is going to throw up, but nothing comes up? Is she OK?
10/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

With regards ***** ***** situation, the antibiotic is one we use in dogs but at high doses will cause GI upset (nausea, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea). So, I suspect that your lass is feeling nauseous from this. Therefore, we can use some supportive care to ease this for her. To start, we can treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. After, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And usually these signs pass within 24 hours without lasting effects.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thanks,,,
Rate5

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian