Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Mom lives in an area where there are no emergency vets…

My Mom lives in an...
My Mom lives in an area where there are no emergency vets near, she has to wait until the morning to take her dog to the vet. He is passing blood and she is pretty sure it’s pancreatitis as he has had it before. He is a chihuahua mix about 12 or so years old (not exactly sure he’s a rescue)He ate and drank fine this morning and the passing blood started about 3 hours ago. Is there anything that she can do overnight to help him? She is beside herself and so worried he won’t make it through the night
10/12/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he having any vomiting yet?

No vomiting
Just not wanting to eat or drink anything and passing the blood

It's sounds like he's experiencing nausea if he's avoiding eating or drinking, which may turn in to vomiting.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian tomorrow morning for sure.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

it’s ok to give him the Pepcid now? I thought I had read online no food or drink to let the pancreas rest? Of course that was just on google and you’re a professional, but I just wanted to double check. Also, she is definitely taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. We were just most worried about the blood he is passing.

Yes, you can give the Pepcid now. The vet will likely start the Pepcid tomorrow anyhow. At this point, we don't know with certainly that this is pancreatitis and not just a GI upset. If he is willing to eat, I'd allow him. If not, he can be fasted until the morning.

Ok, thank you!

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse