Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog keeps panting and shaking. It's been happing around…

Customer Question
Hey, my dog keeps...

Hey, my dog keeps panting and shaking. It's been happing around this time of day for a few hours for the past week or so.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's a little over 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fallyn?

No she's always been very healthy

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
Fallyn really only does this kid-late day. Never morning or night. She pants heavily and shakes like crazy, always with me. Never with my boyfriend for some reason. It's only been happening with me for about the past week and it normally stops scarily when he gets home from work. It's kind of freaking me out.
10/6/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

It won't let me upload for some reason

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

https://youtu.be/j9hKSCLYUNk
Hope this helps

This looks like normal panting on the video, though I imagine you're able to tell a difference in her demeanor and that's why you're here. Is there anything in the environment that might be changed during this specific time period such as children coming or going from school, construction, people moving in/out, etc?

Well there's been some tension within the household and I've been in between jobs so I've been home a lot more over the past 2 weeks other than that there is nothing I can think of. My other dog is perfectly normal.
Also is it strange that she only does it with me?

Not necessarily. Unfortunately, without knowing the cause there's no way to say that the link might not be with you (for example, if you run a certain appliance that your BF may not run or if you have a routine that makes her anxious). I can tell you that you can give her 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours to help keep her calm. That does not, however, address the original concern. Something I would consider doing is 1) having your vet examine her and talk to them about your findings to be sure she's not experiencing pain and that this is an anxious behavior and 2) begin logging dates, times, durations and such for the abnormal behavior. Make notations if your BF is or is not present on said day and what might cause her to be more calm. I see that she's wearing a shirt in the video, so a http://www.thundershirt.com might be an option to help with anxiety, too. Something to consider would also be weather patterns and if you do begin logging her behavior you may want to look at daily barometric pressure and note if rain is expected, as well. I would also consider changing up her routine when she acts like this. Encourage her to work on chewing or playing with a toy, go for a walk. Do something to change up the routine and see how she responds. This may make it easier to determine why she's acting like she is, as well.

Checking in. How is Fallyn?