Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is a cockapoo and he is hiding his bum. He’s not

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a cockapoo and he is hiding his bum. He’s not scooting on the floor but he is sitting to eat and keeps hiding his back end with a tail. He is passing poo ok and he has urinated outside also :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Roo and he is 2/3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roo?

He had happy tail last year but I have checked out his tail, I bathed him and check all along his back legs he is not limping or showing any signs of pain :(

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. How long has Roo been hiding his rear end? Is he eating and drinking normally? When he does walk around, does he seem to be able to wag his tail normally?

Hi
I took him for a walk and he stopped doing it. He pooped and urinated then sented a couple of times he even barked at another dog. Then we got back in the house and he again started hiding his bum. He ate bread and gravy this afternoon. He’s only been hiding it since this morning.

Alright. That is good that he was able to forget about this when on his walk. Also good that he defecated and urinated as normal. Could he have some local discomfort in that rectal region? The most common reason would be an anal gland that is full and needs expressed. This is something that some owners feel that they can do, while most have their vet do it as it can be gross and very smelly. I would recommend having your vet express his anal glands and at that time they can also inspect the area to make sure there are no sores or masses or other sources of discomfort there.