Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has swelling in his leg and it's been around since…

Customer Question
My dog has swelling...

My dog has swelling in his leg and it's been around since Sun. He starting limping first and then by Tues his leg was swollen. We did find a dead cat in our backyard on Mon morning but he was inside most the day on Sun. Ive reas the blog on some of this but the swelling is starting to increase by 5%. What could this be outside of pitting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

We have felt around the hip joint and there are a couple of lumps that he kinda squirms to the touch. Would it be possible he dislocated his hip joint?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Dakota

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dakota?

No not that I know of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Dakota is struggling.

What is his breed? Age?

I'm very concerned that he is experiencing pitting edema, or severe swelling of his leg.

That type of swelling means that blood and lymphatic flow up the leg is restricted. This can occur with a fracture or a dislocation.

I recommend having Dakota seen by your veterinarian as soon as possible because he is in significant pain.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!