Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Had a priapism tonight - very red - almost bloody looking -

Customer Question
Had a priapism tonight...

Had a priapism tonight - very red - almost bloody looking - lasted about 1/2 hour - should I take him to vet in am?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Also vomiting x 2 after

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Chino -13

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hello?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Dog's name is ***** ***** he's 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chino?

Had bladder cyst removed last year

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/6/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

he's ok now - I just wanted to know if i should take him to vet -

Erections with dogs can last for 30 minutes or more (this is normal even when dogs are breeding). Is Chino neutered, by chance, or intact?

he is not fixed - he is not a humper, has never done that - this came on all of a sudden - it lasted about a half hour - his penis swelled to three times its size and was very red - he seemed to be in substantial pain - it resolved on its own , but he did vomit twice after the episode

Humping does not cause erections. Normal blood flow does and dogs can become excited over practically anything. If the penis was not outside of the prepuce (the sheath) this may have been very painful indeed as it would have stretched the preputial skin past the point of comfort.

I suspect the vomiting was likely not linked to this occurrence. If it happens again, please take pictures and send them along. I'll be able to tell you then if it's normal. We do see fewer and smaller erections in neutered dogs if this becomes a chronic problem for him.

If the vomiting happens again, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Chino?