Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I put out mouse poison last night. In our mudroom. Hid it…

Customer Question
Hi! I put out...

Hi! I put out mouse poison last night. In our mudroom. Hid it and closed the door. MY daughter left the door open this morning to the mudroom and the mouse poison is gone. So my 10 lb shitzu ate it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

A small green block

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No she is healthy

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/5/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I did give her hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting nothing yet

The green blocks can contain anticoagulant rodenticides or the neurotoxin bromethalin. Can you check the label of your product and tell me which active ingredient is present? Anticoagulants can cause uncontrolled bleeding often arising 3-5 days after ingestion. Bromethalin can cause muscle tremors, hyperexcitation, or seizures within hours after exposure; however, a more insidious sign, hind limb paresis, can arise in up to 5 days or more later.

I threw the box away yesterday
She just ate it this morning

See if you can induce emesis. The dose is 10 mL (two measuring teaspoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can repeat the dose if she doesn't vomit within 15 minutes. Keep me posted, please.

Prior to 2015, d-CON primarily used two active ingredients in the bait products. In the rat bait pellets, mouse bait pellets, place packs, and wedge baits, the active ingredient was brodifacoum, typically at 0.005% concentration. In contrast, earlier d-CON products that used warfarin had 0.5% concentration.
I gave her 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide she hasn't vomited yet. It's been 5 minutes

Thank you. Brodifacoum will kill 50% of dogs at a dose of 1.8 ounces per 22 lbs which is equivalent to 0.8 ounces for a 10 lb dog. The small blocks weigh 0.7 ounces and so she's at risk of uncontrolled bleeding and death. Whether she vomits or not, she should be administered the antidote by her vet - vitamin K by injection and then orally daily for a week. The vitamin K is then stopped for a couple of days and her clotting times (PT, PTT) are assessed. If she can clot her blood in the appropriate time, no further treatment is needed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.