Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He just stands like he can't walk. Stairs. Stares at the…

Customer Question
He just stands like...

He just stands like he can't walk. Stairs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Stares at the ground. May walk but then whines/yellow like in pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Zeus 3 yrs old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?

No wound on foot

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/5/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What breed of dog is Zeus?

Has he suffered any trauma?

Can you tell what hurts or where?

Doberman
Not that we know of, he is outside during the day with our smaller dog.
No specific area. Just moans on occasion.
He almost appears catatonic

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Sure. I am a physician so my description, the follow, may sound clinical.
He was alert and appropriate about two days ago. I heard barking at the edge of the woods where he was. I brought them in the garage to put him in his crate for the evening and he began to act very standoffish and very sluggish and his responses. The following day he seem back to baseline. That evening, he simply stood, upright, in the crate and did not appear interested in food or water. This morning he went back outside and played with our other dog. tonight, when I called the dogs to the garage, he did not come. I went out to get him and he simply stood and looked at me as though we had no idea where he was or what he was supposed to do. He typically bolts to the garage because he knows there will be more food and water. Typically, when I open the door to the crate he jumps out and prances around. In the video, you can see how he has his front legs extended And behaves inappropriately when I ask him to exit the crate.

This is a perfect description. Do you see the video attached on your end? I don't see it on mine.

This change in behavior had a very abrupt onset with no visible injuries. And his behavior pattern is very bipolar. He goes from normal behavior inappropriate responses to standing completely still and unresponsive to voice commands or lead rope. There is a diffuse trimmer on palpation.
My wife just informed me that there was a tick on him two days ago attached to his ear. I'm wondering if this is a neurological sequelae.
Tried to send file. Says it is too long. I will clip it and resend it.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Imagine the video just like this. Not moving .
Weird

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Any potential of consuming toxins or human medication?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Have ticks ever been a concern before?