Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He has no appetite just looks sad abd tired. Spot and about…

Customer Question
He has no appetite...

He has no appetite just looks sad abd tired

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Spot and about 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spot?

He shakes as if he has the chills

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/4/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Spot isn't feeling well, lethargic, a lack of an appetite and shaking as if he has the chills.

Shaking can be secondary to a fever, but may also be caused by electrolyte imbalances or low blood sugar from not eating, or can be related to pain. In his case with his symptoms any of those things are possible.
Is he at least willing to drink?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any changes in diet recently.
In most cases loss of appetite is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.
In a young dog, even one that has finished his vaccine series, a viral infection or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely causes and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.
Because he is young, this has been going on all day, and he is lethargic ideally he would see a veterinarian now. Puppies dehydrate easily and he needs fluids.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if he isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting and improve his appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours you can offer him water or clear broth, but make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then he needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and he does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to not eat even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), or has a tense painful belly, he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****