Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My puppy is 25 lb and ate half of a 50 mg atenolol. I think…

Customer Question
My puppy is 25...

My puppy is 25 lb and ate half of a 50 mg atenolol . I think it desolved in his mouth and he spit out half of it. Should I be worried ? He is a golden retriever

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

To clarify, did he ingest 25mg of atenolol or 50mg? How long ago did this occur?

25 mg , 20 min ago

This is double the dosage amount for a dog of this size, thus you're apt to see signs of an overdose. Poison control reports the most common symptoms of overdosage is a change in heart rate, lethargy, vomiting and low blood pressure. Ideally, it would be best if your companion were examined and treated overnight by a local ER. Failing this, keep a close eye on your companion overnight for the symptoms mentioned above. If you become concerned, please have your companion in to see a vet as quickly as possible.

You can also attempt to induce vomiting at home using these instructions: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your puppy today?