Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

12 year old female husky - all healthy active until today-

Customer Question
12 year old female white...
12 year old female white husky - all healthy active until today- lathargic - yelped this morning when we were getting ready for our morning run. Has not eaten and has had no water all day
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
When she moves her head when she gets up to walk she whines
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you
I hear some rumblings in her stomach, wondering if she's blocked up as I haven't seen her go #2 today.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Did she go for a normal run this morning with you?

No change in foods. We take 2-3 mile runs every day. Today she's still walking slow with her head down and doesn't drink or eat.

At 12, Kasha is well within her senior years and it sounds like she may be experiencing pain to a degree that she's not only vocalizing due to pain but she's also avoiding food and water. It would be ideal to have her examined and treated by your vet. With the symptoms you've described and walking with her head down, I believe that Kasha could benefit greatly from deep palpation of the neck/spine to determine if your vet can elicit any pain response. Additionally, x-rays are likely indicated.

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Kasha today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse