Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We just found out my 8 yr old female yellow lab had a big…

Customer Question
We just found out my...
We just found out my 8 yr old female yellow lab had a big mass on her left side which has pushed her heart to her right side of her body. When you feel her chest on the left side you don't feel a heart beat at all but only on her right side. She lays on her left side and you can see her hard beat on her right side. I have to X-ray pictures. Not sure how I can attach them
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
10/3/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Susan, you can upload X-rays by photographing and then using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ If the X-rays are in a digital format, you can give me the link to them.

Please clarify, you can feel a bump on the left side of her body but it's conjectured that the bump is pushing her heart to one side? I can't imagine that's the case as there's a rib cage between the bump and her heart.

Thank you for your reply, I did add two X-ray images one on her back and one of her side. The mass is on her left side I felt it as well as the vet which at first his guess was it was a soft tissue until we did the X-ray which was something that he had not seen in the past. We are referred to Guelph university and we will be seen by oncologist on October 17th and the vet said they may have to do an ultrasound to find out more. She is such a happy loving dog that plays and asks like a puppy. Even when we were waiting at the vet someone stopped to pet her and thought she was just a puppy. It doesn't make any sense. We also have a 4 year old golden retriever and they get along very well. Please let me know anything I should know or do until the 17th. She is our first dog and she's great, loving and caring! Thank you for your time

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Oh my goodness. It certainly is within the chest cavity and displacing the heart. How does a dog remain well with such pathology? Yes, an ultrasound is needed and this will be needle biopsied under ultrasound guidance. CT imaging would be ideal. You should know within 48 hours what it represents and how she might be helped. Is there any chance of moving up her appointment? You can be sneaky and present her through the ER service and the oncologist would look at her the next day.

It's not common. I don't know what it represents and so I don't know which options you have for treatment. I'm going to opt out which will allow another expert to to enter this conversation and take a look at those films. I'm concerned, however, that waiting two weeks to see an oncologist isn't prudent.